ERA publishes a new Manifesto on the Environmental Benefits of Rental
ERA has released an updated version of its ‘Manifesto on the environmental benefits of rental’ (first published in 2015) to advocate for and promote the industry as an environmentally sustainable solution for equipment users.
By renting equipment, companies and individuals can contribute to a more sustainable world in various ways and minimise the negative environmental impact of equipment.
In line with the European Green Deal, equipment rental contributes to the transition to a circular economy and the fight against climate change, and ERA calls on the EU to recognise the environment benefits of rental based on the core principles of shared usage, repairability, resource use, reusability and recyclability.
- Construction companies and other rental customers can access equipment when required, improving efficiency
- Rental asset management leads to a more frequent, hence more efficient, use of equipment
- Rented equipment travels shorter distances and delivery trucks rarely travel back empty – as the equipment is shared between customers and job sites, truck sizes and load factors are also optimised, significantly reducing emissions from transport
- Contribute to a product design that facilitates maintenance and repair activities
- Focus on spare parts management
- Ask for increased information on product repair from the equipment manufacturers
- Increasingly invest in green fleets to offer modern equipment utilising low carbon intensity fuels and other alternative energies
- Provide theoretical and practical training to their customers to optimise the use of equipment
- Provide customers with data about their use of the equipment, which improves environmental efficiency
- Components of dismantled equipment can be reused
- Take care of their equipment through repairs, when it is still possible, and recycling, when it is at the end of its life cycle
- Use their bargaining power to demand equipment suppliers limit the use of non-recyclable material and take responsibility for end-of-life management by collecting, reusing or recycling equipment
The ‘Manifesto’ is available to download here and is free to use by rental companies.
If you are a rental company member of ERA and interested in joining the ERA Sustainability Committee, or if you are interested in becoming a member of ERA, please do not hesitate to contact the ERA Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org.