ERA calls on the EU to promote the environmental benefits of the rental concept
The motivation comes from the 5 principles used in the rental business:
- Shared usage
- Resource use
- The construction companies can access equipment when required.
- The centralised ownership leads to a more frequent and therefore more efficient use of the equipment.
- The rental companies contribute to a product design facilitating maintenance and repair activities.
- The rental companies focus on spare parts management.
- The rental companies ask for increased information on product repair from the equipment manufacturers.
- Rental companies search for equipment to offer the most sustainable option to their customers.
- Rental companies provide theoretical and practical trainings to their customers to optimise the use of equipment.
- Components of the dismantled construction equipment can be reused.
RENTAL COMPANIES TAKE CARE OF THEIR EQUIPMENT BY:
- Repairing when it is still possible.
- Recycling when it is at the end of its life cycle.
- Selling it to second hand markets, if it still complies with the regulations.
RENTAL COMPANIES USE THEIR BARGAINING POWER TO DEMAND EQUIPMENT SUPPLIERS TO:
- Invest more in R&D to limit the use of non-recyclable material.
- Take responsibility for end-of-life of equipment by collecting, reusing or recycling.