As it is observed more and more in the larger organisations, ERA has decided to gather some managers from rental companies and issued from younger generations in a group called “ERA Future Group”.
The philosophy supporting this approach is that, in this rapidly changing world and the digital revolution, younger people may have, in certain strategic areas, a different view than older people. The objective is that they provide their thoughts and vision on strategic issues.
The first meeting took place in January 2016 in Brussels.
Around 15 young managers, representing different companies, different countries, different functions, with an average age of 35, participated. The Future Group identified some possible priorities, split between:
The members of the Future Group also participated in the workshops organised during the ERA Conventions in 2016 and 2017 and organised their own workshop during the ERA Convention 2018 and again in 2019.
The members of the Future Group are: Asif Latief (A-Plant), Clotilde Jouette (Avesco), Thomas Bruinsma (Boels), Roland Meurs (Boels), Vincent Weijermars (Bredenoord), Vicenc Homs (German Homs), Gloria Gomez Embil (Gomez Oviedo), Nicanor Pinole (Gomez Oviedo), Charlotte Noack (Jungheinrich), Aymeric Marmouget (Kiloutou), Vincent Ranaivoson (Kiloutou), Alice Henault (Loxam), Daniela Niederstaetter (Niederstaetter), Tobias Carbin (Ramirent), Kari - Tapio Saarela (Renta Group), Claudia Halleen (Riwal), Stefan Ponea (TVH), Carolin Winkel (Zeppelin Rental).
Activities and deliverables of the ERA Future Group
The following projects and activities were carried out under the guidance and input from the Future Group.
CRM Guide -
- Project related to Customers
The ERA Future Group developed a guide for choosing and implementing a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software in a rental company. The guide describes the importance of CRM, sets out criteria for success and offers a number case studies and best practices from leading European rental companies.
Download the CRM Guide here: https://erarental.org/en/publications/position-papers-and-guidance-to-industry/crm-guide-choosing-and-implementing-a-crm-system
- Projects related to People
Since 2016, European Rental Association (ERA) has identified people - attracting and retaining talent, as one of the priority topics in order to increase competitiveness of the rental industry. ERA has contracted a consultant from the generation of diginatives to deliver several projects on the human resources theme.
How to compete with other industries in securing talent for the Future
– This report provides a European-wide study including major trends and issues that are a cause of concerns to rental industry representatives throughout Europe.
Download a hand-out about the report here: https://erarental.org/en/publications/human-resources/era-hand-out-how-to-compete-with-other-industries-in-securing-talent-for-the-future
Full report can be send upon request to firstname.lastname@example.org
Watch summary videos here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpGCKP4UvkZ4zwPv6juGJ_soeTeyN6fbs
Customer journey though rental job position
– This chart offers an overview of the job descriptions that are available in the rental industry so that people with skills can find matches with the needs of a rental company. It allows identifying which job positions are common to most of the ERA members.
The Future Group created a flow chart representing the entire customer journey, establishing the key points in the process at which customers interact with an employee of the organisation.
This enabled the Future Group to determine specific job profiles for crucial positions in the rental industry as a whole.
These profiles should be of benefit to recruiters, current employees and prospective candidates to help them gain a clearer understanding of their current or future roles.
Download the document here: https://erarental.org/en/publications/human-resources/customer-journey-through-job-position-in-a-rental-company
Branch Manager: Job Position Profiling –
Focusing on the Branch Manager profile, the report pinpoints the key features of the role and which attributes make a successful manager. It includes topics such as daily tasks, responsibilities, collaboration and leadership, career background and values and personality.
Download the document here: https://erarental.org/en/publications/human-resources/job-positions-profiling-branch-manager
The Use of HR KPIs
- This report focuses mainly on the key performance indicators used to evaluate the success of human resources departments of ERA members. We look at the different KPIs used during each phase of the employee life cycle (such as recruitment, onboarding and regular employment) and examine further those which are used predominantly by HR managers in the rental industry. Among the most commonly tracked KPIs are employee turnover within the first 3/6/12 months of employment and other fluctuation rates, the total number of cost-effective and active employees (for different job positions) or result driven KPIs such as turnover per employee. KPIs related to health and safety are also very relevant in the rental industry.
In addition, the report provides some insight into the factors to consider when choosing the right IT solution to keep track of KPI data.
Download the report here: https://erarental.org/en/publications/human-resources/the-use-of-hr-kpis-in-rental-companies
The Impact of Social Media on Recruitment and HR
report looks at the online presence of the rental industry and its use of social media for recruitment as represented by ERA members across several different platforms (Facebook, LinkedIn and Snapchat and company websites). It gives companies ideas to consider when advertizing vacancies and tips on how to drive user engagement to attract talent.
Download the report here: https://erarental.org/en/publications/human-resources/the-impact-of-social-media-on-recruitment-and-hr
Watch a video on best practices on online job application process: https://www.loom.com/share/e7e626f0e28041b288dc0d39e4950d24
On top of this report, there have been individual reports delivered to each ERA member from the rental companies on their general presence on social media channels, giving them recommendations and comparing how they stand in relation to other companies in the industry.
– a study of best practices on how to conduct an interview with an employee that decides to leave a rental company. The report gives rental companies guidelines on interviewing such employees and provides deeper insight into how to improve HR strategy in order to retain employees.
Download the document here: https://erarental.org/en/publications/human-resources/exit-interviews
Rental Branch of the Future -
- Project related to Technology
The ERA Future Group is a forum where the young professionals from the European rental industry meet to discuss future challenges and opportunities for the rental business. Focusing on the topic of the Rental Branch of the Future, the group has worked to map trends and phenomena that will influence and disrupt the rental business as we know it today. The Future Group has used Futures Platform
, an online tool to identify and visualize these trends.
As a result, around 50 trends were identified as the most important:
- Blockchain Revolution
- Death of Retail
- New Era in Logistics
- 5G Network
- Sharing as Work
- Circular Economy
- DIY Culture
- Flying Industrial Robots
- Telediagnostics, Maintenance +Upkeep
- Construction Search Engine
- Intelligent AR
- Construction 2022
- 3D Printed Houses
- Local Production 3D•Printing
- Industry Disruptors
- 3D Printing
- Customer-to -Customer
- Leased Standard of Living
- Fossil Fuels
- New Payment Methods
- Sharing Economy
- Industrial Revolution 4.0
- Platform Economy
- Self-maintaining Buildings
- Augmented Reality
- Electric Semi Trucks
- Robotics and Automation
- Experiences through Gamification
- Generation Z Enters Work
- Collapse of Language Learning
- AI Machine Learning
- AI Robotics
- Personalised Pricing
- Cloud Storage
- Artificial +Robot CoWorkers
- AI in Knowledge Work
- Real-Time Data
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- Big data
- Identify Everything
- Y•Generation to Leading Positions
- Right to Privacy
- Products> Relationships
- Scalable Learning
- PointClouds & 3D Scan